Wednesday, December 17, 2008

We'll keep the lights on for ya...


I checked with my case worker at the agency on Monday to see if there was resolution on my travel delay, and hopefully get good news this week as I had been told was forthcoming. I received a response that “we hope to have a resolution maybe next week”.

Okey doke. You can laugh or cry at that one! Or both.

It is promising to know that some of the other families "behind me" in the timeline for adoption in Viet Nam are starting to get processed now though. Some of these families have been waiting years, and I only hope that our delay allows us the opportunity to travel with some of them and get to know them even better than our virtual electronic relationships. Godspeed to them!

Since next week is Christmas week and then New Year’s week (both having US Embassy and VN government holidays) we are emotionally preparing to enter the holidays and the remainder of 2008 without our little boy. Oh, how that saddens me!

I could share heart-wrenching feelings about Baby Brian’s first Christmas being in an orphanage without familial (or canine) love, but I won’t. There are stories to share about Jordan crying for her baby brother, and her being confused about when he is coming. She has even had some bad behavior and acting out during this restless time. That’s all a part of her coping I guess. We talk about it together, but she just wants her baby brudder home. Ditto. Chalk it up to lessons in flexibility and patience for both of us!

So - I’ve decided to just keep all our Christmas decorations up, out and proudly displayed as a vigil for “Bring Baby Brian Home!” I might even get some Walgreen’s and Target ‘after Christmas sales’ on outdoor lights and just keep adding more and more lights until he is here. (After all, you can take the girl out of Kentucky, but not Kentucky out of the girl…). If anyone wants to join in this Christmas continuation, we’d love to have you join us!

When Baby Brian is finally home we can (again) sing carols about silent nights and holy nights, the wise men, the star in the east, a drummer boy and Angels we have heard on high. Then we will (again) celebrate the joy of a baby boy born on Christmas to save the world with love. But we will add to that celebration the joy of a baby boy who had Christmas wait for him to join a family who loves him so much already.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Oh, Ann. I cried and cried when I read your post and even had my husband tearing up! This is exactly how we feel! We want our little Avalon home so badly for Christmas!

God Bless you and your family! I pray Brian comes home soon!

Angela

Ann said...

Angela,
You are too sweet... thank you so much for your encouragement along this path we walk! God Bless You! Merry Christmas!
Ann

Dawn said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are STILL waiting. Have other BN familes traveled since you were supposed to? Do you know what the issue is? Is something missing? Is it someone in BN that is holding it up? I PRAY that you get answers soon.

We were told early last week that we were filing, but we still haven't heard that it has been done. This Friday was suppose to be THE deadline....I hope!!

Brian, Jen and Leela Powers said...

We are thinking about you guys and keeping out fingers crossed... we didn't get a chance to call over the weekend, but hope to soon! I love the pic of Annie dog... brings back memories of our recent trip! Hang in there!!! We miss you guys!

Michelle said...

I think that is a WONDERFUL idea, to keep Christmas until he comes home. I'd love to help...can you please email me? I'd appreciate it.... ;)

Michelle
american_tulip@yahoo.com

The Parents of Katie and Betsy said...

What a cool idea! And where I'm from in Tennessee, I think the lights can stay on until you can wear white shoes. ;-)