Saturday, December 27, 2008

The travel adventure begins..

DFW Sendoff - Regina, Jordan and Cindy (Dede)


I am now 32 hours into my trip to bring home Baby Brian, and I am still in the states! (Well - California anyway!)

The flight from DFW to LAX was fine. I had a 6 1/2 hour layover in LA, and boarded the Thai Air plane at 8:50pm for a 9:30pm flight. This flight is going to be 18 hours long. We had a mechanical problem in that the onboard computer system was malfunctioning. I knew it was bad when they started taking out the ceiling panels on the plane and pulling down cables and hard drives!

At about 2am, they told us that the airline would put us all up at airport hotels. (It was a big plane, couple hundred people easy). We got to the Rennaisance Hotel (I had upgraded to premium seats on the plane so they gave us a nicer hotel - sweet). I then checked in with my adoption agency via email and crashed!

I had a glorious 9 hour night sleep, waking up at 1pm. We are supposed to be back at the Thai Air counter by 5pm to see if the computer part arrived from Bangkok and the plane was successfully fixed. Everyone on the plane will be back on the plane tonight - they kept our bags and have us by a pretty tight leash. That's ok though, because the hotel was great and the food vouchers were generous.

I made several friends along the way... Martha and Jim who are from Franklin, KY but have lived in Thailand for 35 years... Matilda, who is a 70 y/o+ very well-to-do drama queen that I have been "taking care of". She has needed a wheelchair and needs oxygen, so I've been her travel companion through the confusion. She is a classic - wearing a big fur coat, barking orders at people, etc. She is going to Bangkok for a New Year's Eve party. That has been an entertaining diversion for me. She wants to take me back to the airport in a limo in a bit, but I'll be just fine on the bus. I am reminded of someone as I care for her, but can't seem to remember who? :)

It is fun engaging with people you don't know along the way... a dentist who is taking his sons over to Cambodia for free dental clinics for the needy, couples on excursions, kids going to Katmandu, etc. One cool thing about the sharing of our situations and lives is that they are all very excited when I tell them I am going to bring home a baby boy! I do think love is a universal language.

I hope to be in Bangkok for breakfast tomorrow - but my adventure boots are strapped on and I am having a ball so far. We'll see where the journey leads!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I hope you are on your plane and are heading over the ocean soon!!

The Parents of Katie and Betsy said...

Yay for the beginning of the journey, Ann! And the Renaissance at LAX was the hotel we stayed in on the way in and out of our trip to get Katie. Brings back memories!

Safe journeys and a speedy parts shipment!

Mikel Salsgiver said...

I can't take this cheery disposition much longer. Let's hear some expletives and screams.

Craig

Anna said...

At least you didn't get rerouted thru Paris...

BTW, are you there yet?

Anna

Ann said...

I am here! I'll blog in a couple hours... it will be there when you wake up.