Monday, December 29, 2008

Good Morning Viet Nam!

I am here!

Day 2 of the travel adventure was much more productive. Thai Air actually completed the 18 hour flight from LAX to Bangkok. The route took us over the west coast - California, Oregon, Washington, and over Alaska. Then we traversed over Japan, then southward over Viet Nam, and Cambodia to land in Bangkok, Thailand. I read a bit, watched five movies in flight, slept some, and exercised some (as was possible in an airline seat!).It cost me $199 to upgrade to a Premium Economy seat, and it was worth it. Reclining seats, lots of room, and comfort. The Bangkok airport was very cool too - I'll get pics of it on the return route.

Tip - I used my old United Airlines Gold Card to gain access to the Star Alliance VIP lounge in Bangkok. Free breakfast, wifi, and comfort. They didn't care that my United Gold Card was from 1999. It had Star Alliance on it and gained me entrance!

I hopped on Thai Air's next route to Hanoi, and 2 hours later was at the Hanoi airport. The Hanoi airport reminds me exactly of Cabo San Lucas' airport. (Except everything is in Vietnamese instead of Spanish.) It had to be identically designed.

There was no one at Nairobi Airport with my name displayed for transportation (as I was told to expect). I made my way to a currency exchange place and converted $100 USD to Dong. I found the official taxi line right outside the baggage claim doors (ignoring the pesterers who wanted me to ride in their old, unapproved vehicles) and made my way to the hotel. (The pesterers reminded me of the Philadelphia airport - you just don't look at them and don't let them take your suitcases like they are trying to "help"). In the official taxis the fare is fixed - airport to Hanoi (about 20 miles) for $250,000 Dong, or about $16USD.

The drive from the airport to Hanoi was fascinating. People with hoes and rakes everywhere going to/from the fields for work, scooters everywhere, no lines painted in any road to distinguish lanes from any direction, and about 50 near misses of taking out some scooters along the way. It's weird too - everyone just honks all the time, (as in constantly) as if they are saying, "Hi! I'm here! Don't hit me!" The impoverishment is truly heart wrenching though.
Somerset Apartments - Check-in!

The hotel/apartments did not have my name as being registered for check-in, as they were expecting me yesterday and they were not updated that I would be a day late (as they were supposed to be - what we had was a multiple failure to communicate...)They were nice and checked me in anyway. Did I say flexibility is key? :) The apartment is very comfortable! It has a kitchen, patio, washer/dryer, dining area, living room, twin bed bedroom, master bedroom, one full master bath and one smaller shower bath.

Living Room, Master bedroom and pool relaxation area at the Somerset

I learned a lot from previous PAPs who stayed here, so I knew to get my wifi log-in and password, electrical adapters, hot/cold water bottle dispenser delivered, and a crib brought up to the room. It felt so good to unpack everything and "nest" a bit. I took a long, hot shower and did a load of laundry from my 3 day travel extravaganza. The adjacent shopping center in the hotel is nice, and I found Highlands Coffee Shop for lunch and a latte. There is a market in the mall where I got some Diet Cokes, diapers and other necessary items I knew I could purchase here and not have to bring along.

I have taken lots of pictures of the Somerset Apartment/Hotel and shopping center. I'll post the entire collection on the various Yahoo groups for the PAPs who will be following me here in just a couple of weeks (I hope!).

There was no problem adjusting to the time difference of Hanoi. The overnight travel delay in LA was a blessing in disguise.

I called my agency in-country contact - a man named Martin, and let him know I was here. (He didn't know I had made it out of LA, so he was surprised that I had already successfully navigated myself to the hotel.)

Martin will meet me at 10am in the morning at the hotel and we'll review the logistics for the G&R date and activities ahead. I am going to get a good night's sleep tonight and be ready for Baby Brian tomorrow! (I hope they get the G&R for tomorrow!)

This post was very "logistical" in nature, as I wanted to provide the other prospective adoptive parents (PAPs) with the run down... I'll add more humor and cynicism tomorrow, as is expected of me. Hehe.
Children's play area at the Somerset - I miss Jordan!
But for everyone - thanks for your prayers for my safe travels. All went well. It just took a bit longer than planned, but I made lots of friends along the way. Everyone on the Thai flight this morning seemed to know each other well! One man joked that it seemed we had all stormed the beaches of Normandy together there was so much bonding.

I am also thankful that all my bags arrived and I feel safe here.

Til tomorrow!

Ann

7 comments:

Dawn said...

I am glad that you arrived safely and have begun to settle in. Hoping you get Brian VERY soon.

Michelle said...

YAY!!! So glad you are there! Your post brought back lots of memories. I miss it!

Go get that baby!!!!!! :)

Mikel Salsgiver said...

The Salsgivers are SO excited that G&R will be soon! Just being in the same country means so much!

Love,

Mikel Craig & Sarah

The Letter 'W' said...

so glad you finally arrived!thanks for all the info for those of us following behind you!! we are hoping to stay at the somerset as well so seeing the pictures was great!! can't wait to hear you have baby brian in your arms!!

The Parents of Katie and Betsy said...

Wow, you are quite the intrepid traveler! I am truly impressed. All thoughts and prayers headed your way for the G&R.

Kathy H said...

Praise God! You will have precious time to spend with & bond with Baby Brian before introducing to sister Jordan and Annie dog!
Love you! Be safe & Godspeed!
Kathy

MSChaz said...

What a great post for those of us in line behind you! Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of this!!!!!
The details are appreciated more than you know (oh, wait, no, you DO know!!!)
Martha