Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Things People Say to Adoptive Parents - Part Deux

I've received a lot of feedback and input to my earlier post. I just had to share some of these addiitonal comments and questions my friends have had said to them. Hilarious!

* Since she's Chinese, she'll be so smart!
* (in a whisper) "Does she know she's adopted?" (asked somewhere between 12-18 months years old)
* Has she had a hard time learning English?
* One of my friends, Jayne, had someone ask her if 'that' was her grandson. She told them, "I'm the mom and she's a girl".
*One friend was asked whether she needed to keep her little Chinese girl away from the dog ("They eat dog, you know!)

Lastly, my friend Ruth passed this on to me:

Definition

Natural Child: Any child that is not artificial
Real Parent: Any parent who is not imaginary
Your own child: Any child who is not someone else's child
Adopted Child: A natural child, with a real parent, who is all my own.

Written by: Rita Laws PhD

1 comment:

Steve G. said...

Ann,

Beautiful pictures and sentiment on the inquisitive nature of people that want to bask in the happiness of your family. I am reminded of the response Nancy uses when people question her nationality (3/4 Black 1/4 Italian). Earlier this summer after presenting at a conference a woman stopped her as she was returnig to her seat from the stage. She asked her in front of the table and anyone who was in earshot, "Excuse me, but what is your nationality?" Without missing a beat, Nancy looked her in the eye and said, American!

Keep the perpetual smile on your face and remember that I believe my life is richer because I met you.

All the best to you Jordan and Baby Brian.

PS. Tell Regina I said hey.