Monday, November 10, 2008

Bac Ninh, Hanoi and Viet Nam

The rains have stopped in Hanoi, and the extended forecast looks clear. I am told that the flood water drainage is progressing well. That is good news and I am hopeful to receive our travel approval this week. We could leave as early as Monday, November 17 (a week from today). We are ready to go!

I must admit – and it’s probably not a real good thing either, but my circadian rhythm is in complete disarray. I have already transitioned to Hanoi time (13 hours ahead). My nights are days, and days are night as I wait impatiently for the familiar beep that lets me know I have an incoming email message. I should receive the travel approval email from Hanoi any day now, and their business day is during our normal sleep time. I’ll update the blog with a post as soon as I receive the word!

So - I was refreshing my mental catalogue about the area and travel tips, and thought I’d share some interesting facts…

(Translation help – I know it isn’t perfect, but here’s how I learned to say Bac Ninh: “After I par the front nine, then I will make par on the “back nine” as well.”)

Bac Ninh is the capital city of the Bac Ninh Province – located 30km east of Hanoi. The population of Bac Ninh is 150,331. The word, “Bac Ninh” is derived from Sino-Vietnamese meaning “northern serenity”. It is in the Red River Delta region of northern Viet Nam, and has a flat topography with many rivers and springs. The rainy season is may-October, and the November weather averages high 76 F, low 66F (perfect for our trip).

Bac Ninh is an ancient trading center, with flourishing roots dating from 200-1000 A.D. It is the home to many of the Buddhist religious foundations, with many pagodas and temples in the area.
The main export is cashew nuts, followed by rice, coffee, tea and then rubber. Current religious percentages are 85% Buddhist and 8% Christian.

We will be staying in Hanoi in the Old Quarter section of town, at a hotel called the Grand Somerset Hotel. They have apartment type suite-rooms. With four of us in the room (Cindy, Jordan, baby Brian and myself) that will be needed. The hotel has good amenities, including several restaurants, a grocery shop, swimming pool, and business center.

We will do as much sight-seeing as we can while we are in Hanoi. I am looking forward to seeing Ho Chi Minh’s birthplace, the Hanoi Hilton (Hoa-Lo prison), Viet Nam museums, the puppet theatre, the opera house, red bridges, and many pagodas and temples. We’ll be posting lots of pictures!


Hoa-La prison (aka "Hanoi Hilton") Famous picture of John McCain being pulled from the lakeJordan tells people everyday, “We are going to Viet Nam to bring home my baby brother!” It will be soon - I just feel it in my Mama-bones.

No comments: