Friday, November 21, 2008

Fight or Flight?

I would love to report that I am writing from the Admirals Club of the Tokyo Airport, or something like that. Alas, that is not the case.

The woman at our adoption agency who coordinates the travel for prospective adoptive parents, is out on bereavement leave. There are no plans or coordination with the orphanage or the agency staff in Viet Nam who can assist in logistics until she returns - hopefully Monday.

I was told that they hope to have the Giving and Receiving ceremony the week of December 1st. I offered to go ahead and book flights for that scheduled event, but was told that was highly discouraged, as there could be other unknown delays that could push the date further into December.

It would be so easy to let the sympathetic nervous system kick in and begin the "fight" stimulus ("GRRR"), or just get on a plane to Hanoi for the "flight" stimulus (Like Frank - and do it MY way!). It is my nature to make things happen when stalls occur. I always prefer action over inaction.

However, I don't want to jeopardize the adoption process due to my impatience. I now know who to call in the Embassy if I really had to open up that can of 'whoop a**'... but what would it deliver? Anger? Delay? Relationship with the agency? Possible denial of the baby in the adoption process? Not worth it.

The only advice I can heed is to draw upon my 'patience' reserves. I know that the only thing in this whole process that I can control is my own attitude (words of wisdom from adoption #1 - from my sister Cindy!) and I choose to breathe deep and wait it out.

So I don't know when we are traveling, or when we'll have the baby. I shall try to "Be still and know I am God" (Psalm 46:10) as I pray for more patience.

P.S. For translational clarification - I know that I am not God - HE is God. :) I meant that I should try to be still and let God be God. Know and accept that there are some things I can't control. Understand, hombre? (You never know - somebody might think that I was trying to say I was God or something. You'd be amazed.)

No comments: