Monday, January 5, 2009

A New World Order

Introducing - the latest US Citizen and HHonors frequent stay member - Brian Montgomery! (Love those bed linens! They are so much better than the grass rugs I was used to! Hehe)


Hi all!

We made it home. Finally. There was even more drama yesterday morning waiting 2 1/2 hours in line at United (LAX SUX). They wouldn't check my bags in because they already showed they were checked in from the previous day's flights. They charged me for the bags ($40) even though International Flights have no charges. Thank goodness they missed the fact than one bag was 58 lbs. or that would have been another $100 charge. I had to "break bad" again, and a little Asian woman (Oracle again?) got me checked in, bags to the plane, and ready to go in about 2 minutes. Of course, boarding had already begun by that time - but she did it.

Brian has his first meltdown. He was wet. He was hungry. He was tired. The big three!

He wailed (with a shrill like I didn't know he could do) when we got on the plane. He had a dry diaper at that point, but still hungry (Excuse me Ms. Flight Attendant - did I say I needed some warm water at your earliest convenience for this bottle? I am sure the other passengers would appreciate it too!)

Then he drank his bottle, and fell asleep. For almost the whole flight. Thank goodness. I met a really nice woman on the flight. She sat next to me. I was so tired at that point that honestly I can't remember her name or what we talked about during the flight. Her kids I think. Ha. Well, anywho... I was just exhausted.

Jordan, Cindy and Regina were there at the airport to welcome us. Jordan saw me and hid behind Regina. I motioned for Cindy to come to the baby and I ran over to Jordan. She came out from her hiding place and latched onto me with a fervor! She was so glad to see her Mama! I was equally glad to see her. She looked like she had grown just while I was gone a week! Oh my, how that little girl is smart. And smart-alec. (Takes after her Granny in that regard.)

Several friends had wanted to come to the airport to welcome us, and although I love them and would love to have seen them - I am glad they didn't. I was a mess. Exhausted. And Jordan needed some one on one time with Mama to gently introduce her to her brother and let her know she is still her mama's baby girl. I hope the folks who wanted to come to the airport would share their love with us in other ways - like casseroles and dinner dishes over the next week? Hehe. I love you all!

Dede loved up on baby Brian, Regina loved up on him, and then we had a lttle introduction session with Brian and Jordan. It was very sweet. She of course wanted to carry him - he's too heavy. She wanted me to carry her - she's too heavy. We strolled and made our way to the car.

Baby Brian's carseat is backward facing, next to Jordan's forward facing one. She wanted to feed him his bottle, but he was already asleep in the car. Quiet as a lamb all the way home.

Cindy prepared steak, sweet potatoes and broccoli when we got home. It was yummy. Baby Brian woke up and played awhile, had a bottle and went back to sleep easily. He was still on Hanoi time!

It was a blessing to 'turn my mama duties over to Cindy so I could sleep.' I put Jordan to bed, snuggling up next to her, when I heard Brian cry in the other room. I went and got him, brought him into Jordan's bed and the Montgomery trio literally passed out. (Quartet if you consider Annie-dog!)
Cindy came in sometime later and got Baby Brian from my arms, as I guess he was precariously hanging over the edge of the bed, but still in my arms. I meandered upstairs to the guest room, and just went comatose until about 9am this morning. I could hear Dede, Brian and Jordan downstairs on occasion, but it was a most wonderful gift to know they were in good care while Mama bear rejuvenated with sleep!
Dede playing Teletubbies on the computer

Today has been an awesome day. It is freezing rain outside, and I called a "Family day". Jordan stayed home and we all just enjoyed a day of unpacking, trying out new formula (he loved the Similac to-go bottles!) and new foods (he loved oatmeal, but the pears pursed his pucker!) Cindy has been awesome today regulating his sleep with two long naps so he can go to bed tonight and be on Dallas time. He has been a dream.

Jordan is adjusting well and experiencing every phase of the new jealous sister syndrome. She understands he is a baby and needs to be in my lap, but she wants to be there too. She had one strong emotional spell today, and I just tried to soothe her and we went down for her nap (together) and she has been much better since she woke up. We are getting ready to wake Brian up from his second nap and have family supper together.

I was able to actually unpack today (most of the way) and do some laundry. I made his doctor appointment for tomorrow afternoon for his skin rashes and bit of URI, and made his complete adoption physical for Tuesday of next week. I got him added to the medical insurance coverage. That's about all I did today. Cindy carried the schedule and coordinated the strategic plan for the day.

Oh yeah - did I tell you about Cindy? That ole gal. First of all, remember, she got my emergency home maintenence items completed the day after I was gone. Garage door and plumbing. She kept up with Jordan's social calendar, despite my having an event scheduled at the wrong time. (I just had a bit going on before I left!) She cleaned my house, organized the baby cupboard with new baby groceries. She cleaned the baby's room and completely cleaned and rearranged two closets - baby Brian's and the playroom closet. She has been just the best demonstration of love in action that a new mama could ever hope for! I only wish she could've been there in Viet Nam with us. She was there in spirit though! She emailed me everyday "from Jordan in her own words" and sent pictures to me everyday of Jordan's activities. I am so thankful and so blessed to have her as my sister. I have the most wonderful and sarcastically funny family that I treasure. I have heard from all of them regularly and even have a gift here from Booper and the family upon our return. I love my family. Every single dysfunctional one of them.

So - I called Santa today and asked hiom to swing by again on Tuesday night. It's Christmas II - Santa Returns! Baby Brian will have his first Christmas home.

Gotta run now - a mother's work is never done....

6 comments:

The Letter 'W' said...

So glad you make it home. Enjoy your time as a family of three!!we have enjoyed following your journey!

Mikel Salsgiver said...

Name a night, we'll be over with your favorite dish.

Craig & Mikel & Sarah

Ann said...

Mikel!
How about tomorrow Tuesday? Or Thursday? Friday? ha. Love your new blog posts! She's a hoot!
Ann

Dawn said...

Glad you are home! I love that face of his..what an adorable little pout!

The Parents of Katie and Betsy said...

Yay! Welcome home, Ann and Brian! And may you all get plenty of rest this week.

Jerry said...

Welcome home and all the best to you, Jordan & Brian....now, can I convince you not to raise him as a Dallas Cowboy fan?